Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Life after college football

It has taken almost three weeks for me to have the desire to get back on here and talk about sports.  The SEC Championship Game might be considered a classic, but for me, it was torture.  Every time I see a promo on ESPN about the National Title Game all I can think about is that Georgia could have been, should have been in that game.  A local radio show host still talks about how heartbreaking the 1983 Sugar Bowl was for him.  When he talks about it, you can still feel the pain in his voice.  I think that is the way I will feel about the SEC title game, probably forever.

But life, as they say, must go on.  So I will attempt to give at least some level on analysis on pro football, the NBA, and even college basketball, once the season starts in March.

That said, it is sad how little I have been able to watch the NFL this year, especially the Falcons.  I have missed two games because of work, numerous games because of the obligations of fatherhood, and I have missed the second half of the Falcons three prime time games (against the Broncos, the Cowboys, and the Saints) because I am now an old man who finds it difficult to stay up past 10 pm.

Though I have missed many of the games, I do have a pretty good idea about the team and how this season has gone and I have only one thing to say about the Falcons: nothing matters until the playoffs begin.

Now don't lump me in with the rest of the national media.  I think it does matter what you do in the regular season, most of the time.  However, for this team, this year, all that matters is the playoffs.  They have had fantastic seasons in the past (2010 13-3), but failed miserably in the playoffs against Green Bay.

The win over the Giants on Sunday was impressive, but it won't matter at all if Atlanta lays another egg in the playoffs.

The way the NFC picture is shaping up, the Falcons should have the number one seed and home field throughout the playoffs.  I know they had the same situation in 2010, but as good as this team is at home you take the first round bye and take your chances in the second round.  The Falcons haven't been the best team in cold weather historically, but with the number one seed, there is a chance they won't play outside again this season or throughout the playoffs.

Hopefully I will be able to stay awake to see the Falcons try and clinch that number one seed this Saturday night against the Lions.

I would give you some riveting commentary on the bowl season, but until we get to some games with at least one team that matters a little bit, I can't fake it.  I will say that I'm looking forward to watching the Chick-fil-A, Cotton, and Capital One Bowls.  I am sure that I will try to watch the National Championship Game, but it might just be too hard, we will see.

Have a Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment